1. Write notes about the following:
a) Halimut al - sa'adiyya.
b) Abut Talib.
c) Abdul Muttalib.
2. a) Briefly describe the Hegira of the Prophet.
b) What is the significance in Islam?
3. What were the teachings of prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) concerning:
a) Racism and tribalism?
b) Status of women?
4. Explain why Abubakar carried out the Ridda wars. What were the results of these wars?
5. What are the teachings of each of the following on 'the Grave sinner' and 'the creation of the Quran'
a) The Mutazilites?
b) Al - Ash'ar?
c) Ibn Hanbal?
6. Discuss the contribution of Imams Malik and Shafi to the study of Islam.
7. Outline the life history and major ideas of Ibn Khaldun.
8. What were the factors that led to the rise of Muhammad Ahmed the Mahdi, in the Sudan, in the 19th century? What were his achievements?
9. a) How did Islam reach the east African coast?
b) Why did it take long to spread into the interior?
10. What were the major aims for the Portuguese coming to east Africa? Were they successful in these aims?
11. What is the importance of the following in Uganda's Muslim history?
a) Nuhu Kalema
b) Kabaka Mwanga
12. Do the Ugandan Muslims need a uniting body? To what extent is the Uganda Muslim supreme council likened to that body?
1. What were the problems that were encountered in the compilation of the Qur'an? How will they overcome?
2. Discuss the importance of the Qur'an in man's life.
3. What do Surahs al - Fil (105) and al - Nasr (110) have in common?
4. Explain the causes and circumstances of revelation of Surat at - Dhuha (93).
5. Explain the Islamic teachings on:
a) Obedience to parents.
b) Caring for one's family.
c) Practising of justice.
6. 'O ye who believe! Draw not near unto prayer when you are drunken till ye know that which ye utter....' (4: 43). Basing yourself on other verses in the Qur'an, what advice would you give to a Muslim that uses this verse as an excuse to drink alcohol?
7. Why did it become necessary to compile the Hadith of the prophet (P.B.U.H) after his death?
8. On the authority of Abu Dharr Jundub ibn Junada and Abu Abdar Rahman Muadh Ibn Jabal (R.A.) who said that the messenger of Allah (P.B.U.H.) said:
'Fear Allah wherever you are, and follow up a bad deed with a good one and it will wipe it out and behave well towards people'.
It was related by al - Tirmidhi. He said it was a good Hadith. Identify and explain the different parts of this Hadith.
9. What do you understand by
a) (i) The day of judgement?
(ii) God's Qadha and qadar?
b) What is the significance of believing in them?
10. Describe the arkan (pillars of) salat (prayer) and its mubtilat (nullifiers).
11. Discuss at least four instances that lead to exemption or non - observance of the month of Ramadhan.
12. a) What are the essential rites of Hegira?
b)When does Hegira become obligatory on a muslim?