SECTION A, I
1. The BEST way of handling an unwanted confidential document in an office should be by
2. Cash discount is an allowance for
A. buying in bulk.
B. settling debts promptly
C. purchasing regularly.
D. selling goods for cash.
3. Petty cash is normally used in an office for the purpose of
A. buying fixed assets.
B. paying invoices for goods.
C. Making minor payments
D. drawing cheques for minor amounts.
4. Which one of the following should be included in a memo?
A. Date of communication
C. Complementary close.
D.Time of dispatch.
5. A tele-printer is a device used for
A. printing and storing messages.
B.sending and receiving written messages.
C.receiving and sending messages.
D.storing telephone messages.
6. Add listing machine can be used for the following except
A. preparing sales day book
B.making copies with the help of ink.
C.taking out trial balances.
D.reconciling bank statements.
7. Where would the information on biographies of people no longer living be found?
A. The Hansard.
B. Who was who?
D.The year Book.
8. Which complimentary close would be suitable for an application letter?
C. Affectionately Yours,
D. Yours Faithfully,
9. Departmental filing refers to
A. separate filing system by various sections of a firm.
B. maintaining files of the same firm in one department
C.arranging files according to departments of a firm.
D. Filing documents under the names of heads of departments.
10. Which one of the following services is performed by the office in the overall functioning of a firm?
A. Manufacturing and selling of goods.
B.Transporting and communicating to customers.
C. Receiving and processing information.
D. Designing and marketing services.
SECTION A, II
11. Name any three parts of a business letter.
12. State any three methods of payments used by banks
13. Mention three types of equipment used for storage of files in an office.
14. Write the following in full.
(i) E & OE
15. Mention any three common machines used in a duplicating office.
16. Give the three sections of a post office directory.
17. Give any three disadvantages of using a photocopying machine.
18. Write any three important points to be considered when taking down a telephone message for an executive.
19. Give any three essential information contained in a receipt.
20. when preparing packets for dispatch by second-class mail, they must be identical in
21. (a) Define a switchboard.
(b) Distinguish between PMBX and PABX types of switchboard.
(c) Explain any three major benefits associated with the use of a telephone in an office.
22. (a) Explain the use of each of the following office machines.
(b) Outline any five reasons for using office machines.
23. (a) state five ways of controlling stationery in an organization.
(b) Give any five reasons why keeping records of stationery is important.
24. (a) Define Filing
(b) Give any five characteristics of a good filing classification
(c) Explain any four methods of filing classification.
25. (a) state any six important points to consider when writing an application letter.
(b) The Head teacher of Agape polytechnic, P.O.Box 685 Lira, has advertised for the post of a cashier in The New Vision newspaper of 1st October, this year.
Use your own address and name to apply for the post, giving relevant information about yourself. Give two referees.
26. (a) List five machines besides franking machines that could be used for out-going mails.
(b) Describe any five ways in which a franking machine can assist in the preparation of out-going mail.