1. The following are duties of a receptionist except
A. Answering the telephone.
B. Receiving visitors.
C. Making policies
D. Directing callers.
2. A machine that prints postal impressions on envelopes is called
A. An envelope sealing machine
B. A franking machine
C. A typing machine
D. An addressing machine
3. Information covering all services rendered by the post office is contained in the
A. Post Office Directory
B. Post Office Guide.
C. Post Office Code Book.
D. Classified Directory.
4. Which of these is the fastest method of sending a written message?
5. The purpose of a debit Note is to
A. Inform the customer about an undercharge in invoicing
B. Cancel an order
C. Confirm that goods have been delivered.
D. Correct an overcharge.
6. A credit card will
A. Allow a buyer to pay the seller for an overcharge.
B. Enable a person to purchase goods without using cash.
C. Be paid only to a banker.
D. Enable a customer to pay his creditors with one cheque.
7. The system of filing documents in order of location is known as
A. numerical order
B. Chronological order.
C. Geographical order.
D. Alphabetical order.
8. The purpose of an agent is to
A. Inform members of a scheduled meeting.
B. Give a record of the previous meeting
C. Give details of what will be discussed.
D. Postpone a scheduled meeting.
9. The following are methods of paying staff monthly salaries except
A. money order
B. Post stamps.
10. The act of destroying unwanted documents is carried out using a
A. Shredding machine.
B. Binding machine.
C. Stapling machine
SECTION A, II
11. GIVE THREE advantages of written communication in business.
12. State any three details to be included in a mail register.
13. State any three types of information that can be found on a headed paper.
14. Mention any three types of information to be recorded when taking a telephone message
15. Mention any three features to be found on a petty cash voucher.
16. Give any three factors to be considered before placing an order.
17. Outline any three matters which an office worker should be silent about in the office.
18. List any three machines used when handling outgoing mail.
19. Give any three types of letters that may be opened in the mailing room.
20. Write the following business abbreviations in full
(i) VAT . . . . . . . . . . . .
(ii) CIF . . . . . . . . . . . . .
(iii) E & OE . . . . . . . . . .
21. (a) Outline any five uses of a computer in the office.
(b) Explain any three benefits and two limitations of using a computer.
22. (a) (i) Explain vertical filing
(ii) Give any five benefits of vertical filing
(b) A letter has been received in an office with details that could be used as a guide to determine the system of filing. Write down only the name of the system to be used if the letter was to be filed according to:
(i) Date of letter,
(ii) Letter reference
(iii) Name of the company written to,
(iv) Subject matter,
(v) District of the company,
(vi) Name of the writer.
23.(a) Differentiate between the following as used in meetings:
(i) Agenda and minutes.
(ii) Memo and a letter
(b) Write a notice calling a school Sports Committee meeting today, due to take place in the school's main hall at 5:00pm.Include a short agenda of three items.
24. (a) (i) What is a routing slip?
(ii) Outline three details contained on a routing slip.
(b) Explain the following five procedures of handling incoming mail.
(iii) Date stamping,
25.(a) Explain any three advantages of using:
(b) What three factors should be borne in mind when sending a telegram?
26. (a) Explain the uses of the following memory aids:
(iii) Appointments card.
(b) Describe the importance of a;
(i) Year planner
(ii) Notice Board.